Thursday, February 01, 2007

Smoking Ban.

I'm not a smoker. I used to smoke, but gave up when I turned thirty. Like a lot of ex-smokers I bemoan my stupidity for every starting to smoke in the first place and am extremely anti-smoking. I think it's a pointless, expensive and ridiculous habit. I'm delighted to see France are planning a ban on smoking in public places, and I love that I can go to a pub here and not come home reeeking like an ash tray. I laugh heartily as dudes and dudettes standing shivering outside trying to suck the smoke from their sodden fags. Bleaugh I think, then snarf.
However, as is always the way, sometimes good ideas are hi-jacked and turned into really annoying ones.
Observe.
From today's Independent.
"IRISH smokers may soon have nowhere to hide.

Hot on the heels of the success of the ban on smoking in the workplace, research scientists are now urging the Government to examine the possibility of banning smoking at home. The first target of an extended ban is likely to be apartment blocks and other "multi-occupied buildings".

The recommendation is contained in a study carried out by researchers attached to the Department of Public Health and Health Promotion Services at the HSE West. Among the authors is Principal Environmental Health Officer, Maurice Mulcahy, an international expert whose ground-breaking research on smoking in the workplace was a key factor in the introduction of the workplace ban in March 2004.

While the ban has had a significant impact in reducing exposure to second-hand smoke in the workplace, it has been unclear up to now what effect it has had on smoking in the home."

To all this I would say, my house is my home. Your house is your home. What I do in my home is none of your damn business Big Brother.
If you want to smoke, watch television, eat cheese naked except for nipple tassles than so be it. If you suddenly decide you're going to paint the front hall tangerine and three in the morning so be it. It's your house. You pay the mortgage. Rented accomodation, okay, maybe you and your landlord have an agreement, I don't know, about not painting wall tangerine, but you can probably still do the cheese thing.
Smoking-we hates it, oh yes.
But Big Brother in homes?
I'm against it!

Labels: , ,

7 Comments:

Blogger Binty McShae said...

I've been against Big Brother in homes ever since Channel Four started showing the thing, way back when.

But returning to your point, fuck yeah. I'm an ex-smoker too but if someone wants to smoke in their own home it's their damn business!

10:18 a.m.  
Blogger Twenty Major said...

Hello?

12:20 p.m.  
Blogger fatmammycat said...

Damn straight. Stay out of me gaff, gob'mint

12:20 p.m.  
Blogger fatmammycat said...

Hello Major, it's back up, teething problems with the new blogger.

12:21 p.m.  
Blogger FINN said...

a snippet from yesterday's TPS sheet -- er, inter-office communication:

please do not smoke in the company cars. This includes the two Accords (’05 and ’07), and the Pilot. If you are non-smoker, this doesn’t apply directly to you, but please (nicely) remind your co-workers if they forget.

Of course, there can be exceptions, but we ask this only if it is necessary and, contingent upon you doing so with windows wide open during and after to not allow the car to smell like smoke in any way.


in other words, please don't smoke in the company cars, unless you have to.

i love the smell of waffling in the morning.

3:07 p.m.  
Blogger FINN said...

speaking of waffles, i detest cats as much as the next person but really, FMC, i don't find this appetising in the least. the presentation is sadly lacking.

3:12 p.m.  
Blogger fatmammycat said...

I thought it delightfully appropiate myself.

3:23 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home